Who is a candidate? If you have had a simple mastectomy and are missing both breast tissue and some skin. If you have had a modified radical mastectomy and are missing breast tissue. Consultation will determine whether expansion or some other type of breast reconstruction will be the most favorable in your particular case.
Description TRAM flap is a method of breast reconstruction. This breast plastic surgery is intended to restore a breast to a normal, pleasing shape and size following mastectomy.
Intended results: Reconstruction of a breast that looks as normal as possible. A good result makes you look normal in clothes or a bra and reasonably normal without clothes. Restoration of a complete body image. A more positive self image.
- A TRAM flap procedure requires use of donor muscle, fat and skin.
- This tissue, attached to your own blood supply taken from patient’s abdomen, is used to reconstruct the breast..
Recuperation and Healing:
- Following your surgery, gauze or bandages will be applied to your incisions.
- Your doctor will insert a thin tube under the skin to drain excess blood or fluid. This tube will be removed within a few weeks.
- Your doctor will recommend that you use a pain pump and/or prescribe medication to relieve you of any post-surgical pain.
- Healing will continue for several weeks. Localized swelling should decreases. The shape of the breast shape should normalize and improve.
Other options: Enlarging, reducing or lifting the opposite breast may be appropriate in order to have the reconstructed breast and the “normal” breast match. Other options for breast reconstruction include, placement of an implant only (if adequate skin is present) and reconstruction with distant flaps — i.e. — latissimus dorsi flap or transverse rectus abdominus myocutaneous flap etc. Consultation will help determine which method is best for you.
Insurance guidelines: These operations are reconstructive and are almost always covered by insurance.
Note: The specific risks and the suitability of this procedure for a given individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk. Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally. Major complications are unusual.
Contour Affiliates Recovery Garments: Compression garments or post-surgical garments help improve and increase blood circulation, rid your body of potentially harmful fluids, decrease your post surgery recovery time and reduce swelling. Visit Dr. Zienowicz’s online store to browse compression products designed to aid your recovery.